Whether you’re looking to replace an outdated toilet paper holder or switch up the decor in your bathroom, knowing how to remove a toilet paper holder from the wall properly is a skill worth having.
In this blog post, we’ll walk you through removing a toilet paper holder from the wall, including which tools you’ll need, how to prepare the holder, and which removal methods work best for different holders.
Let’s get started!
- Types of Toilet Paper Holders
- Remove Toilet Paper Holders
Types of Toilet Paper Holders
There are several different types of toilet paper holders.
- Wall-Mounted Toilet Paper Holder: One typically mounts this type of holder on the wall near the toilet, holding a single roll of toilet paper. Manufacturers commonly produce this holder from metal, plastic, or wood, making it one of the most commonly used holders.
- Free Standing Toilet Paper Holder: This type of holder is typically a stand that holds multiple rolls of toilet paper. It is usually made from metal, plastic, or wood and has a weighted base to prevent it from tipping.
- Recessed Toilet Paper Holder: People install this type of holder directly into the wall, and it can hold a single roll of toilet paper. Modern bathrooms often feature this holder, which comes in metal, plastic, or wood.
- Over-the-Tank Toilet Paper Holder: This type of holder is mounted on the back of the toilet tank and holds a single roll of toilet paper. This holder type is usually made from metal, plastic, or wood and is often used in bathrooms with limited wall space.
Magnetic Toilet Paper Holder: This type of holder uses a magnetic strip to attach a single roll to the side of the toilet tank.
People typically use this holder type in bathrooms with limited wall space; manufacturers often make it from metal or plastic.
Remove Toilet Paper Holders
Before you begin, you’ll need to gather the necessary tools, including a screwdriver, a putty knife, a pair of pliers, and hand gloves.
Removal Methods for Different Types of Toilet Paper Holders
Below are a few common methods for removing toilet paper holders from the wall.
Remove a Toilet Paper Holder with Hidden Screw
Removing a toilet paper holder with hidden screws can be tricky since the screws are not visible, making it difficult to locate them.
However, it is possible with the right tools and with a bit of patience. Here are the steps you need to take to remove a toilet paper holder with hidden screws.
First, you will need to locate the hidden screws. Start by looking for a small hole or slot in the plate of the toilet paper holder.
This hole is where the screw is located. If you cannot locate the hole, use a flashlight and a thin object, such as a needle or a pin, to probe around the plate until you find the hole.
Once you have located the hole, insert a small screwdriver and rotate it to loosen the screw. When the screw is loose, you can remove it with the screwdriver.
Next, you will need to remove the baseplate of the toilet paper holder. To do this, you will need to use a flathead screwdriver.
Place the flathead screwdriver into the slots at the base of the toilet paper holder, and twist it to release the baseplate.
After removing the baseplate, you can remove the screws holding the toilet paper holder.
Finally, you can remove the toilet paper holder from the wall. Grab the toilet paper holder firmly and twist it counterclockwise until it comes off the wall.
Removal of the Wall-Mounted Toilet Paper Holder
When it comes to removing a wall-mounted toilet paper holder, the process is simple.
- Remove the screws or anchors securing the toilet paper holder to the wall.
- Gently pull the toilet paper holder away from the wall.
- Carefully inspect the wall for any damage caused by the holder and repair it if necessary.
- Discard or recycle the holder and any screws or anchors.
- Clean and wipe down the area where the holder was mounted.
Removal of the Free Standing Toilet Paper Holder
You can easily remove a free-standing toilet paper holder in simple steps.
- Unscrew the mounting hardware from the wall or floor.
- Carefully remove the Free Standing Toilet Paper Holder from the mounting bracket.
- Discard the mounting hardware and the Free Standing Toilet Paper Holder.
- Clean the area around the mounting point to remove any residue from the mounting hardware and Free Standing Toilet Paper Holder.
- Fill in any holes left from the mounting hardware with spackling or other appropriate filler.
- Sand and paint the area as necessary.
Removal of the Recessed Toilet Paper Holder
The recessed toilet paper holder is a great way to organize and tidy your bathroom.
However, when it comes to the removal of the recessed toilet paper holder, it can be a bit tricky.
- Unscrew the mounting screws that hold the recessed toilet paper holder to the wall and remove the holder.
- Carefully pull the holder away from the wall and inspect the area to confirm that you have removed all mounting screws.
- Use a pry bar or putty knife to remove any remaining caulking or adhesive from the wall if necessary.
- Wipe down the area to remove any remaining debris from the wall.
- Use a putty knife and spackle to fill in any holes or imperfections in the wall.
- Allow the spackle to dry completely before painting the wall to match the surrounding area.
Removing Mastic/Ceramic Toilet Paper Holders
Mastic or ceramic toilet paper holders are typically attached to the wall with an adhesive.
You’ll need to use a putty knife to carefully pry the holder away from the wall to remove them.
Apply heat to loosen the adhesive if the holder remains stuck.
Removing Glued Toilet Paper Holders
The adhesive attaches glued toilet paper holders to the wall.
- Put on rubber gloves and safety goggles for protection.
- Use a putty knife to pry the toilet paper holder away from the wall.
- If the putty knife doesn’t work, use a heat gun to soften the adhesive.
- If the heat gun doesn’t work, use a razor blade to remove the adhesive.
- Use a putty knife to scrape off any remaining adhesive.
- Use a damp rag to wipe away any dust or residue.
- Dry the wall with a dry rag.
- Repeat the process if necessary.
Removing a toilet paper holder from the wall can be a simple process; if you know what you’re doing.
Following the steps, you can easily and safely remove a toilet paper holder from the wall.
Use caution and the right tools to remove the holder easily.