Do you have an old bathroom that looks dated, dull, or dingy? Do you wish you could give it a makeover without spending a fortune on remodeling? If so, you’re not alone. Many homeowners face the same dilemma of wanting to update their bathrooms but not having the budget or the time to do a full renovation.
Some simple and affordable ways to make an old bathroom look new. You don’t have to tear down the walls, replace the tiles, or buy new fixtures. You only need creativity, elbow grease, and smart tips and tricks.
This article shows you how to spruce up your old bathroom with easy DIY projects, clever hacks, and fun accessories. Following these steps, you can transform your bathroom from boring to beautiful.
1. Clean and Refresh the Grout
Cleaning and refreshing the grout is one of the first things to make an old bathroom look new. Grout is the material that fills the gaps between the tiles on your walls and floors. Over time, grout can get dirty, stained, cracked, or moldy, which can ruin the appearance of your bathroom.
You’ll need a grout cleaner, brush, sponge, and water to clean and refresh your grout. You can buy a commercial grout cleaner or make your own with baking soda and vinegar. Here’s how to do it:
- Apply the grout cleaner to the lines and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Scrub the grout with the brush to remove dirt, stains, or mold.
- Rinse the grout with water and wipe it with a sponge.
- Repeat until all the grout is clean and bright.
If your grout is too damaged or discolored to be cleaned, you can also refresh it by applying a new layer of grout over the old one. You’ll need some fresh grout, a grout float, a sponge, and some water. Here’s how to do it:
- Mix the fresh grout according to the package instructions.
- Apply the fresh grout over the old grout with the grout float, filling all the gaps and cracks.
- Wipe off any excess grout with a damp sponge.
- Let the grout dry for at least 24 hours before using the bathroom.
2. Paint or Cover the Tiles
Another way to make an old bathroom look new is to paint or cover the tiles. Tiles are one of the most visible elements in your bathroom and can also be one of the most outdated. If you have chipped, cracked, or faded tiles or don’t like their color or pattern, you can give them a new look with some paint or peel-and-stick tiles.
Paint or Peel-and-stick Tiles
To paint your tiles, you’ll need some tile paint, a primer, a roller, a brush, and painter’s tape. You can choose any color you like for your tile paint, but make sure it’s suitable for wet areas and resistant to mold and mildew. Here’s how to do it:
- Clean your tiles with a degreaser and let them dry completely.
- Tape off any areas you don’t want to paint, such as the fixtures, the trim, or the ceiling.
- Apply a coat of primer to your tiles with a roller and let it dry for at least four hours.
- Apply two coats of tile paint to your tiles with a roller and a brush, letting each coat dry for at least four hours.
- Remove the painter’s tape and enjoy your new tiles.
Cover Your Tiles With Peel-and-stick Tiles
To cover your tiles with peel-and-stick tiles, you’ll need some of your choice: a utility knife, a ruler, and a level. Peel-and-stick tiles are self-adhesive vinyl tiles in various colors, patterns, and sizes. They are easy to apply and remove without damaging your original tiles. Here’s how to do it:
- Clean your tiles with a degreaser and let them dry completely.
- Measure your tiles and cut your peel-and-stick tiles to fit them with a utility knife and a ruler.
- Peel off the backing paper from your peel-and-stick tiles and stick them over your original tiles, ensuring they are aligned and level.
- Smooth any air bubbles or wrinkles with your fingers or a credit card.
- Repeat until all your tiles are covered.
3. Update the Fixtures and Hardware
A third way to make an old bathroom look new is to update the fixtures and hardware. Fixtures and hardware are your bathroom’s functional and decorative elements, such as faucets, showerheads, knobs, handles, towel bars, hooks, etc. They can make a big difference in your bathroom’s style and functionality and are easy to replace or upgrade.
You’ll need some new fixtures and hardware, a wrench, a screwdriver, and some plumber’s tape to update your fixtures and hardware. You can choose any style or finish you like for your new fixtures and hardware, but make sure they match or complement each other and the rest of your bathroom. Here’s how to do it:
- Turn off the water supply to your bathroom and drain the pipes by opening the faucets.
- Remove the old fixtures and hardware with a wrench and a screwdriver, and clean the area where they were attached.
- Install the new fixtures and hardware according to the manufacturer’s instructions, using plumber’s tape to seal any joints or connections.
- Turn on the water supply and check for any leaks or drips.
- Enjoy your new fixtures and hardware.
4. Add Some Storage and Organization
Adding storage and organization is the fourth way to make an old bathroom look new. Storage and organization are essential for keeping your bathroom neat, tidy, and clutter-free. They can also help you maximize your space and stylishly display your items. Depending on your needs and preferences, there are many options for adding storage and organization to your bathroom.
Some of the most common storage and organization solutions for bathrooms are:
- Shelves: Shelves are versatile and practical for storing and displaying anything from towels to toiletries to plants. You can use wall-mounted shelves, floating shelves, corner shelves, ladder shelves, or over-the-toilet shelves. You can also use baskets, bins, or boxes to organize your items on the shelves.
- Cabinets: Cabinets are great for storing items that you don’t want to be seen, or that need to be protected from moisture or dust. You can use wall-mounted cabinets, floor cabinets, medicine cabinets, or over-the-toilet cabinets. You can also use drawers, dividers, or organizers to sort your items inside the cabinets.
- Racks: Racks are useful for hanging items that you use frequently, or that need to dry, such as towels, robes, brushes, etc. You can use towel racks, robe hooks, over-the-door racks, or suction cup racks. You can also use hooks, clips, or rings to hang your items on the racks.
- Carts: Carts are convenient and mobile for storing items you need to move around or access easily, such as makeup, hair tools, cleaning supplies, etc. You can use rolling carts, tiered carts, or utility carts. You can also use trays, cups, or jars to organize your items on the carts.
5. Add Some Color and Texture
A fifth way to make an old bathroom look new is to add color and texture. Color and texture are important for creating visual interest and contrast in your bathroom. They can also help you express your personality and mood in your bathroom. Depending on your style and taste, there are many ways to add color and texture to your bathroom.
Add color and texture to your bathroom:
Some of the most common ways to add color and texture to your bathroom are:
- Paint: Paint is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to change the look of your bathroom. You can paint the walls, the ceiling, the trim, the cabinets, or tiles with any color you like. You can also use different techniques such as stenciling, striping, ombre, or sponge painting to create different effects with paint.
- Wallpaper: Wallpaper is another way to add color and texture to your bathroom walls. You can choose from various patterns, prints, textures, and materials for wallpaper. You can also use peel-and-stick or removable wallpaper if you want something more temporary or flexible.
- Tile: Tile is a classic way to add color and texture to your bathroom floors or walls. You can choose from different shapes, sizes, colors, finishes, and materials for tile. You can also use different patterns such as subway tile, mosaic tile, herringbone tile, or hexagon tile to create different looks with tile.
- Fabric: Fabric is a soft and cozy way to add color and texture to your bathroom windows, shower, or bathtub. You can choose cotton, linen, silk, or velvet fabrics for curtains, shower curtains, or bath mats. You can also choose from different colors, patterns, prints, or textures for fabric.
- Accessories: Accessories are a fun and easy way to add color and texture to your bathroom countertops, shelves, racks, or carts. You can choose from different accessories such as candles, vases, plants, art, mirrors, rugs, towels, soap dispensers, toothbrush holders, etc. You can also choose from different colors, shapes, sizes, styles, or themes for accessories.
You don’t have to spend much money or time making an old bathroom look new. Following these simple steps, you can transform your old bathroom into a fresh, modern space you’ll love to use.
Whether you choose to clean and refresh the grout, paint or cover the tiles, update the fixtures and hardware, add some storage and organization, or add some color and texture, you can make a big difference in the style and functionality of your bathroom.
With creativity, elbow grease, and smart tips and tricks, you can make your old bathroom look new quickly.